Saturday, July 16, 2011

Summer day

We were having a quake-laden day in the assistance center cafe. Many broken hearts. Then a group of five kids bustled in with their moms, wanting to swim in the pool while their moms got relief goods. One family had swimsuits. The babies had diapers and their birthday suits to choose from. 

That left one second-grade girl in a light blue dress. She got to the pool and realized she couldn't swim. And the kids' swimsuits haven't arrived yet. Poor sad little shoulders. 

So we headed to the clothing box in the relief center. She chose jeans and wanted the top to be cute. I was thinking more along the lines of a t-shirt and shorts, but alrighty then. 

What does one do with a little girl in a new outfit she likes, heading to a pool? You eliminate the choice to stay dry. I lifted her into the inflatable pool and started a water war. She was soaked from head to toe, and the swimsuit crisis was over. 

Didn't take long before they all decided to retaliate. "Get the auntie!!" may not be among the top five battle-cries to rally troops, but no matter. I promptly lost the war. So did two other volunteers. 

And a three-year-old boy climbed back into the pool holding the open container of bubble liquid he was playing with. Wasn't long until all those kicking feet churned up a nice layer of froth. That's one way to guarantee cleaning a pool...

Normal summer day, with a kid-sized crisis. It's about time we had one of those. 

Then a truck arrived in the afternoon with about 45 kid's bikes and 10 or so trikes. I smell adventure. This could get good. 

1 comment:

  1. Great pic on facebook! I couldn't figure out how to "like" it. I'm glad for the pool for you. I'm also glad for the bikes. I love adventures, especially ones involving kids! Yesterday was my fourth and final visit to an orphanage here in Morocco. We had 50 paper airplanes flying around and several paper boats (thanks to my brother Larry who taught me how to make them when I was a kid). God bless!

    ReplyDelete