Friday, October 28, 2011

Do you know?

Do you know you're loved, Iwaki? Do you know, Ofunato?

If only you could have seen their faces listening to stories from Iwaki. And the yarn they brought for Ofunato. So much yarn. Enough knitting needles and crochet hooks to make an afghan for the Pacific ocean. Balloons that will strengthen my lungs. Puzzles to chat over. Hats from a knitter who knits for the homeless. A knitting book. Small toys. Sewing kits. Whatever else I find when I unpack. 

And the prayers, often decorated with tears. No better jewels for decoration. 

Many Japanese and Japanese-at-heart want to come see you, but can't. Some of this is from them. 

I gave up on the small suitcase, and left Maine with two big suitcases. Stopped by Illinois and added two more. Initially a large and a small, but no way was I going to stop people from adding their share. A neighbor gave me her large suitcase to replace the small one. 

I'm on my way. 

We all know that stuff isn't love. And I brought a lot of it. But maybe enough love from Maine and Illinois rubbed off, and will stick to you for when you need it. 

You're not forgotten. I'll say it as often as I can. I hope you'll be able to hear. 

And if you can listen past us to catch the echoes of God's love... well, that's the best part. 

No comments:

Post a Comment