Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Keeping on

A break, tears, and massive amounts of prayer did my heart good. Thanks, everyone, for the backup. A lot of good heart-work got done this weekend, and I returned to Iwaki with a much surer step. 

And five can openers. They seem rather random. Maybe they are. But they were on sale and I've heard a couple of evacuees mention that they turn down canned goods because they have no can opener. So I figured five can openers wouldn't hurt anything. Into the relief goods they went. 

The crochet needles are gone already. Still have some knitting needles left. It makes me pause and think when an older lady takes a teeny lace-sized crochet hook and is excessively grateful, pledging that she will treasure it. It's basically a wire with a bent tip. How much she must have lost to be so relieved and happy over a short length of thin metal. 

She used to knit sweaters on her knitting machine. The wave destroyed everything. Now, one hook is precious. 

Glad I'm not the one making tough decisions around here though. Don't know if this was the first occurrence, but one family was turned away today because they were not affected by the quake and kept coming to the life assistance center for relief goods. But I trust the person who made the decision. He has to really get pushed before making a move like that. 

Yet I also see extreme fatigue among the long-term volunteers. A black eye from walking smack into a telephone pole that's always been there. Shortened fuses. One rescuing another by getting away for a mountain walk. Tighter voices that need a good warm-up. Or a cup of tea and a recliner. 

Pastor Mori is back from vacation this morning. He looks more ready than I've seen in a while. 

Time to start the day. 

1 comment: