Sunday, June 5, 2011

I don't know who took this photo, nor where it was taken. It could be anywhere along the many miles of Japan's devastated coastline. (If any of you find out, let me know.) But this is where my journey begins--with acknowledging the devastation, the lives lost and interrupted, the loss and the darkness. And also acknowledging the dawn, and the audacity of the tree blooming right in the middle of it all. There is more death and destruction just in this photo than I am able to comprehend. And more life and light than my imagination could possibly fathom. I don't have the luxury of focusing on one or the other. During this trip to Japan, both death and life will be in my face, close up and intensely present-tense.

But Life wins. It may not look like it yet. Come with me. I'm sure we'll find some telltale signs.

1 comment:

  1. I saw it in a major news article, so it's probably AP or sold to AP.

    ReplyDelete