Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Pause

Ah yes, that awkward pause. It comes just after people find out that I'll be about 30 miles south of "the" nuclear plant. It's particularly freeze-framed if they had just tried to lighten the mood by saying "don'tcha go near that nuclear plant, don't wantcha to come back glowin' in the dark, ha ha..." Woops.

Poor dears. I thought briefly of simply letting them hang there, just to see what they would do, but I've found that mentioning my iodine pills gives them the out they need. Pardon my brief thought. And those of you who had only the shortest of pauses... hats off to you. :-)

There's an intentional pause that will occupy the bulk of the day tomorrow. Connie, who has graciously taken in my homeless self and all my boxes, has a "you will" tone that she only pulls out when necessary. She pulled it out. The preparations for the trip are mostly complete. It's time to simply stop and soak it all in, and make the occasional phone call, but with long pauses in between to be quiet with my Papa God. Maybe even snuggle up and take a nap.

Because, let's face it. After you're safely strapped into the roller-coaster, after all the deliberate kachunk-kachunk-kachunking up the first slope to get the coaster into position, there's that sudden silent pause at the top.

I'll be screaming my head off soon enough. Might as well savor the pause.

No comments:

Post a Comment