Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Lil' sis

Her big sister set the stage. "This one here basically survived the tsunami by holding onto the wooden deck." Then she sat back and smiled as her little sister told the story. 

She loaded her elderly neighbors into her car and was about to get in and drive them away to safety. Just then, she saw the wave. It was seven meters tall (that's about 21 feet). No time. She slammed the car door and grabbed onto the closest solid object: the wooden deck. 

"If I hadn't, I would have been washed away and wouldn't be here." Her own voice was casual. Big sis was teary-eyed.

We thanked her for being here. 

The neighbors survived too. The car floated. They evacuated safely to their son's home and she hasn't seen them since. 

Lil' sis is very casual about her experience. Big sis is by her side. Maybe the tears have come and gone. Maybe they're on their way. But I sense that big sis knows a hero when she sees one, and will be nearby when lil' sis needs a shoulder to lean on. 

Who ever imagined that slamming a car door and risking her own death would save two lives? 

I'm with big sis on this one. I'm proud I met a hero today. 

Thank You Papa, for protection in the midst of tragedy. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rae, I love being a part of your journey by reading your blog. I'm on my own journey to Michigan and New Hampshire. Tomorrow I head to Niagra Falls, Canada to see a couple I know from His Mansion who just had a baby a couple of months ago! Ah - life wins!

    ReplyDelete